20/01/2010

Apocalypso!


I'm currently working on a series of illustrations for Starscape - a new venture soon to be launched by Chris Smillie. It's intended to be a storypaper in the good ol' fashioned sense - a mix of prose and pictures, with the text hopefully reading more like thrilling adventure/horror/sci-fi comics. I've been contacted by a couple of writers to provide illustrations for their contributions, and this is the second one I've done so far. It's a work in progress - the finished pic will have columns of black smoke rising from the buildings and a scene involving several figures in the foreground, but I thought I'd post the backdrop at this point so I can document the process behind what is for me a complicated piece. I find it hard to get excited about drawing buildings and vehicles - I'm much more a head and shoulders man! I tried to come with ways of making it more exciting. First of all, a google image search on Brutalist architecture brought up the main building (which is actually - appropriately enough - an FBI headquarters), then to further spice things up for myself I deliberately tried to experiment with my inking technique. I'm quite pleased with the result so far... stay tuned for the finished piece.

5 comments:

  1. Very nice, I like the change in style look forward to the final piece. Just got hold of Dogbreath today great work in there sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your inking lately has been very Gorey-esque, Matt. I really dig the short pen strokes - a nice way to contrast the "sci-fi" look with an "archaic" style. Brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I 'as a whiff of the Irvings about that, TBH. Obviously, since Fraze is brilliant, this is a GOOD thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorey & Irving comparisons I can live with! Thanks guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That really bleached out affect works very nicely as for this post-apocalyptic, feel.

    All those pen strokes must have been a pain but they work!!

    ReplyDelete